Sunday, May 24, 2009

Words of Wisdom

So I was not sleeping and was able to finish a new book. I should say new to me. A small two talk book from general conference 2005
Modesty, Makeovers, and the Pursuit of Physical Beauty.
what Mothers and daughters Need to Know
Jeffrey R Holland and Susan W. Tanner
What a beautiful book. Full of great insight on the body and how we see and treat it.
Jeffrey R Holland states in his talk To Mothers and daughters, "Your Father in Heaven knows your name and knows your circumstance. And knows what you can become through faith in him." "Be a woman of Christ. Cherish your esteemed place in the sight of God. He needs you." What wonderful words of wisdom. What women young or old would not want to be the best her she can.
Susan W. Tanner goes on in her talk The sanctity of the Body, " I testify that the body is a gift to be treated with gratitude and respect." "Happiness comes from accepting the bodies we have been given as divine gifts and enhancing our natural attributes, not from remaking our bodies." She is clear that it is OK to take very good care of your body, but is also clear that we must not make it our focus. She tells what her mother taught her, " You must do everything you can to make your appearance pleasing, but the minute you walk out the door, forget yourself and start concentration on others." What great council. What a Christ like behavior to teach your child.
I loved reading this book and am passing it on to Haybear to read.
It is a great testimony to me that we have this modern day revelation from great leaders of the church.
Every mother should read this book. Weather she has sons or daughters. weather she has yet to have children. Or even the leader of children. Of course you could pull up the talks online at lds.org or you can get this beautiful book from the library.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

You have been reading some awesome books lately. Thanks for the reviews.

Becky said...

Hi! It has been a long time! I love your blog...I love your eloquence and sweet love that comes with each of your post! Thanks for sharing your book reviews. I have a fun activities day /young womens activity that goes along with the modesty, daughter God theme. I would love to send it to you. I hope all is well with you and your family!